Sunday 7 February 2010

RSS feeds and a glass of wine

I went back to Google Reader this evening, with a glass of wine near at hand, to spend some more time with RSS feeds. I have to confess this was prompted by receiving a link from friends in Washington, DC, to their photographs of the recent snow storm (http://web.me.com/dcbooboobear/Site/Snowmageddon.html). I was slightly surprised to see the now-familiar RSS icon, and clicked on it to add the feed to my Google Reader.
Once "in the zone", I added a few more feeds from the Recommended Sources. That led me to wonder who recommends these sources? I checked in the Google Reader help and discovered that it's done automatically based on various factors including the feeds you're subscribed to, information from your web history and your location (see
http://www.google.com/support/reader/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=80468 for more details). This strikes me as having something of the Big Brother about it, but I have to admit that the Recommended Sources were all on the money and I added all of them (including our own Digitalist) with the only exception of the graduate trainees' blog.
Looking forward to next week's Things!

1 comment:

  1. That is really interesting that all the suggestions were good enough that you added them. Google must be doing something right, while taking over the world :-)

    ReplyDelete