Wednesday 17 February 2010

Social bookmarking

I have to confess I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw this week's things. I've been using Delicious to save my bookmarks (aka favourites) ever since the Oxford Web 2.0 day back in spring 2008, and feel very comfortable with it. I've just added the bookmarklets (is that a real word?) to my Firefox toolbar, and will add a bookmark for my blog when I've finished this post.
I do find it very useful to have my bookmarks with me wherever I go, and I would never go back to using bookmarks/favourites linked to a PC.
Having said that, I have been fairly indiscriminate in my bookmarking, and I now have 330. Many of these I no longer use, and I should really delete some of them. I have tried to use tagging consistently, and Delicious makes this easy by suggesting tags that you have used before and other possible tags as part of the process of creating the bookmark.
Another problem with my use of Delicious is that I have a single account for work and personal bookmarks. I should really set up separate accounts and keep the two sets separate. It's too easy to be distracted by personal bookmarks (like the latest products at ModernCat) when I really should be working ...

1 comment:

  1. I keep the two separate too - found I didn't want work things cluttering up my home one, or home things distracting me at work.

    ReplyDelete