Tuesday 2 March 2010

Thing 13: Facebook and libraries

Facebook: whatever did I do with my spare time before I joined up? Or rather, why don't I have any spare time any more?

I have been using Facebook to keep in touch with friends and acquaintances for what feels like forever but is probably no more than 18 months. I like the passive way that you can keep up with people that you don't see very often (e.g. friends overseas), although this may simply indicate that I am lazy and too mean to pick up the 'phone.

I have never created a Facebook page for a library, although I am a fan of several library pages on Facebook. I have observed libraries using the status or wall features to convey short pieces of information to their fans, and this seems to me to be a good use of Facebook. Status updates can be easily checked on Web-enabled mobile 'phones, and it's likely that information posted in this way will be easily picked up.

I have looked at the wealth of pages for Oxford libraries, including college libraries and Bodleian Libraries libraries. They are all inspiring and I'm full of admiration for their creators and updaters. The Queen's College page has nearly 2,000 fans, but that seems to be an exceptional number. Other pages have far fewer.


I think I've run out of steam for this week - better go and get some quality sleep before the cat wakes me up at dawn.

1 comment:

  1. Have I discovered a bug in Blogger? I started to draft the above post on Tuesday and published it this evening (Friday), but the date of the post is still Tuesday! Oh, well, makes me look more efficient than I am - but makesit look like I ran out of steam on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete