Wednesday 17 March 2010

Thing 17: Wikis

I have some experience of working with a wiki, as I have contributed to the Collections and Resource Description wiki, artfully named "C&RD Board". This wiki got off to a flying start in 2008 and provided a useful forum for discussion about a number of significant changes in technical services operations and activities in C&RD and other Bodleian Libraries, including the restructuring of the Collections and Resource Description (C&RD) department. However, since the departure of Alice Keller and Rosemary Pyke in September 2009, the wiki has not been updated as much as it used to be and is now chiefly used for booking the C&RD meeting room. I think a lesson to learn here is that you only get out of some wikis what you put in. Of course, I have logged in and made a few updates to the C&RD Board wiki this week, chiefly to earn my Thing 17 brownie points. I have also revisited the Web 2.0 wiki (one Wetpaint account works for both) and have done some "OULS spotting" as suggested by Jane. One thing I noticed about the Web 2.0 wiki was the presence of annoying advertisements. I understand we paid a modest sum to Wetpaint to get rid of the adverts from the C&RD Board wiki, and I think this was money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment