Sunday 21 March 2010

Thing 18: Wikipedia

Wikipedia is often my first port of call for finding or checking facts on the Internet. I have now read the Wikipedia article on Wikipedia and feel if anything more comfortable about continuing to use it for fact-checking and information discovery in general.
I checked the Wikipedia page for Moreton-in-Marsh soon after moving here last September, chiefly to find out the population (3,198 in the 2001 census, if you're interested). I often use Wikipedia to check a fact in connection with a bet (aka a difference of opinion) with my beloved, but I very rarely check Wikipedia for work-related issues. I looked up the entry for "Resource Description and Access" (the successor cataloguing rules to AACR2), and found a rather brief entry. This may well be expanded after June 2010 when RDA is officially published. I looked at the History tab and discovered that user "Omassey" created the page on 17 May 2008. That user name sounded strangely familiar and when I clicked on it I was taken to the user page for our very own Addedentry Owen, take a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment