Friday 12 March 2010

Things 15 & 16: Is Twitter for bird-brains?

To answer the half-serious question posed in the title of this post, no.
I have spent a couple of hours on Twitter today, finding librarians and others to follow, installing TweetDeck and testing its capabilities, tweeting and re-tweeting, etc. I have come to the conclusion that it can serve a useful purpose for front-line librarians wishing to connect with their readers, and for back-office librarians like myself wanting to feel connected with others in the same noble profession.
I was going to try installing Twibble on my mobile this evening, but I lost my nerve. Perhaps it was the mention (in the "disclaimer" section of the Twibble website) about it being expensive if you don't have "a reasonable data plan". I don't think I have any data plan - I just pay-as-you-go. I probably haven't got a smart enough 'phone, anyway. I do seem to be able to tweet via text message, so looks like I will have to make do with that at the Oxford Libraries Conference next Thursday. (If anyone out there has any ideas about how to fully engage with Twitter using a Nokia 6300, let me know.)
I have also added the TwitterGadget to my iGoogle page - nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment